Sunday, May 31, 2020

Diverse Experience of Education, Teaching and Philosophy



In a classroom of more than 30 students, an Indian teacher can take it for granted that the diversity for experience will be overpowering not only for her but for each student as well. India is country where each of the 29 states speak a different language (“Wikipedia”, n.d.). Each state follows different culture and traditions. Hindi being the official language has no effect on many as they insist on speaking their mother tongue (The Hindu, 2019). We are grateful to English for removing the communication barriers and sparing us the fight between cultures. 

When I first started teaching, I found it quite overwhelming to manage a class of students with diverse personality and attitudes. I can still remember the first class I taught. It was the 5th Grade and I would say by experience, that this grade is a tipping point for students moving towards adolescence. Their emotions run high; they are more body conscious and temperamental. Things can get very sensitive if not handled intelligently. Among my students were a few, who always stuck to me wherever I went. They were attention seeking. For a while, I found that very odd, being followed everywhere like that. Later, during a casual talk, I found that one among the girls was from a very traditional family. She was the middle girl child and felt neglected at home. She was always looking for recognition and appreciation from me and I did not know how to handle her case. Her scores were poor and there was no improvement even after the required dose of attention from me.
After getting to know the class better, I found my way with every student. It takes time and patience to get involved with every child on a personal level. I found this attention seeking in so many students that I decided to turn it into their strength than weakness. I have always found B.F Skinner’s “Theory of Reinforcement” and “Motivation Theory” very useful in classroom practice. This theory stated that individual’s behavior is a function of its consequences. It is based on “law of effect”, i.e., individual’s behavior with positive consequences tends to be repeated, but individual’s behavior with negative consequences tends not to be repeated (Research gate, 2014).With the application of different kinds of reinforcement (Management study, n.d.), I got not only that particular girl but the whole class attuned to my expectations.
Attention seeking is one thing but to deal with students with low self-esteem and confidence is totally another ball game. Only a teacher who can be selfless can achieve this. “Integral Education” requires a teacher to be selfless and deal with any challenge with the attitude of correcting it within herself first and observing the changes in the students (ipi.org, n.d.). To deal with a student with low self-esteem, I decided to recollect my school experiences and gathered insights form it. The more I introspected, the more I was sympathetic to that particular student. My sympathy enabled me to have compassion and the child developed trust in my support. According to me, sympathy is a strength and not a weakness, which many Indian teachers would vehemently disapprove. Empathy is acceptable.
As educators, we often feel called upon to improve the lives of the students with whom we work like in the above two examples. Many teachers will argue that it is a school counselor’s job and not ours. This requires discretion and brings us to crossroads. A teacher must know when her student needs her and when he or she needs to meet the counselor. It requires logic and practicality. My education philosophy and practices compel me to go the extra mile for my students.
Do I have the expertise for it? Am I qualified to do that?  Only with experience, can a teacher identify and address student’s diverse backgrounds. When I was a student, I being a south Indian, struggled to adjust to the north Indian culture and lifestyle. My family had moved to the north. My school was in the capital and westernization was at its peaks. I came from a humble traditional background.
We did not have a car and that was enough to stop me from making friends and getting uninvited from student groups and social meetings. I remember, always requesting my father to drop me few meters away from the school gate to avoid being seen on a scooter. This put such pressure and fear in me that I was absorbed all the time trying to please people. My class teacher, who was very kind, noticed this and had a discussion with me at length about the absurdity of it all. She encouraged me to get a good education which is the only way to elevate oneself and not by pleasing others. Of course, it did not help immensely at that point but was a knowledge for the future accepted with maturity. 
Taking her example, I was able to identify students with different backgrounds and its effects on them. Therefore, my classes are always filled with motivational stories, anecdotes and moral stories. I ensure my students are grounded and any bullying behavior gets a strong subtle message. My student’s health and happiness gives me peace and relaxation in the classroom.
My philosophy and practice is centered upon the principles of mutual development and growth. Integral Education advocates this principle (Ankita Mendiratta, n.d.). The whole point of a Holistic education is to have a healthy mind, vital and physical. How can a teacher exclude herself from the overall growth of her student? It is unnatural and impossible 
Conclusion:
We as educators have many roles and responsibilities. Our educational philosophies and practices can be limiting but an educator cannot limit oneself to just technical education. It is our conscious responsibility to address the social, cultural and personal development of our students. They may be silent but we must help them in every possible way to emerge as strong individuals. This I believe is an ideal philosophy of teaching and practice.



References:
(Wikipedia, n.d.). Languages of India. Retrieved from:
(The Hindu, 2019). Hindi the first choice of people in only 12 states. Retrieved from:
(Research gate, 2014). Review of B. F. Skinner’s ‘Reinforcement Theory of Motivation. Retrieved from:
(Management study, n.d.). Reinforcement Theory of Motivation. Retrieved from:
(Ankita Mendiratta, n.d.). Integral Education: Learning Through Self. Retrieved from:

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Experiential Learning “In its simplest form, experiential learning means learning from experience or learning by doing. Experiential educa...